Steve Ward & Associates is a privately owned prime subcontractor for institutional casework, millwork, and laboratory equipment used in schools, colleges/universities, research/commercial laboratories, and healthcare facilities. Since its founding in 1979, SWA has developed a professional team of sales people, estimators, project managers, installers, and support staff. Our corporate headquarters and manufacturing facility is in Nashville, TN with four regional offices in Tennessee and Florida. We perform projects across the Southeastern US.
We are currently looking for the ideal candidate for the Estimator position working out of our home office in Nashville, TN. In this role, the candidate will be responsible for putting together qualified estimate proposals on our scope of work in the various healthcare, education, and laboratory projects that we are pursuing. The candidate will contact all the major vendors participating in a proposal and will lead them through the pricing process until it is complete. The candidate will also work together with the salesman responsible for each proposal. The salesman will help with direction and strategy for the proposal based on customer knowledge. The estimator will review the project documents completely when preparing the proposal. The candidate will be responsible for reviewing architectural documents and contract documents while also putting together a final spreadsheet, proposal letter, and any other documentation required by the contractor. The role will require a lot of direct contact via phone and email with customers, vendors and co-workers. Very minimal travel is required.
We are seeking the following attributes in a candidate:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with an emphasis in Excel and Word
- Ability to review and understand architectural documents (architectural drawings, specifications, addendums, RFI’s, etc.)
- Ability to work together as part of a collective team
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to develop a complete execution strategy for the work being estimated
- Ability to identify and understand our scope of work on a project from the bid documents while being responsible for all aspects of the project assigned. This will be based on the contractual documents, project schedule, and strategy throughout the bid process and post bid process
- Build a working relationship with the customer(s) so that they have confidence in SWA’s ability and performance
- Ability to communicate to the customer clearly and timely to help our customers feel as though you have a sense of urgency when it comes to their project and meeting their needs
- Ability to qualify scope of work on a project in a clear, descriptive manner, based on the project requirements and delivery dates with lead times of each product
- Ability to identify risk and manage accordingly
- Ability to communicate with and guide vendors to price the scope of work correctly
- Ability to perform an accurate takeoff
- Ability to work under deadlines and pressure
- Ability to “juggle more than one ball at a time”
- Ability to problem solve by “thinking ahead” with conceptual ideas with the next person in mind
- Communication skills (ability to communicate well with all levels)
- Someone who looks for answers and does not look to take the “easy path”
- Casework and millwork knowledge is a plus
- Field experience is a plus
- Maintain positive attitude
- Ability to review and respond to changes and pricing needs throughout the project
- Ability to work with digital documents, using the computer for all files and drawing use
- Ability to keep the “big picture” in mind when dealing with the obstacles along the way. Difficult personalities along the way are part of the job and should not be a reason to lose sight of what your job responsibility is.
- Willingness to get others involved when a problem occurs so the issue can be minimized, not just accepted
- Deal with all people based on integrity, honesty, trust and accountability
Steve Ward & Associates offers competitive compensation and benefits, including health insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), and vacation time. Steve Ward & Associates is a drug free company.